This article has Open Peer Review reports available.
Multidirectional instability of the shoulder – current concept
© Kim; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2009
Received: 29 April 2009
Accepted: 25 June 2009
Published: 25 June 2009
A guest editorial on the multidirectional instability of the shoulder
The multidirectional instability of the shoulder is a complex problem in terms of diagnosis and treatment. Distinct from multidirectional hyperlaxity, multidirectional instability has symptoms related with increased translations in more than one direction. Increased translation by the increased capsular ligamentous laxity is underlying pathology of the posterior and multidirectional instability. This increased capsular laxity can be in-borne or developmental and asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic initially. In this stage, attempted translation does not produce symptoms. Jerk and Kim tests reveal posterior clunk without shoulder pain [1, 2].
- Kim Seung-Ho, Park Jun-Sic, Jeong Kyo Woong, Shin Kee Seong: The Kim Test: A Novel Test for Posteroinferior Labral Lesion of the Shoulder-A Comparison to the Jerk Test. Am J Sports Med. 2005, 33: 1188-1192. 10.1177/0363546504272687.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim Seung-Ho, Noh Kyu-Chul, Park Jun-Sic, Ryu Byung-Dam, Oh Irvin: Loss of Containment of Chondrolabral Glenohumeral Joint in Shoulders with Atraumatic Posteroinferior Multidirectional Instability. J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 2005, 87: 92-98. 10.2106/JBJS.C.01448.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Kim Seung-Ho, Park Jae-Chul, Park Jun-Sic, Oh Irvin: Painful Jerk Test: A Predictor of Success in Nonoperative Treatment of Posteroinferior Instability of the Shoulder. Am J Sports Med. 2004, 32: 1849-1855. 10.1177/0363546504265263.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim Seung-Ho, Ha Kwon-Ick, Yoo Jae-Chul, Noh Kyu-Cheol: The Kim's Lesion: An Incomplete and Concealed Avulsion of Posteroinferior Labrum in the Posterior or Multidirectional Posteroinferior Instability of the Shoulder. Arthroscopy. 2004, 20: 712-720.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim Seung-Ho, Kim Hyo-Kyun, Sun Jong-Il, Park Jun-Sic, Oh Irvin: Arthroscopic Capsulolabroplasty for Multidirectional Instability of the Shoulder. Am J Sports Med. 2004, 32: 594-607. 10.1177/0363546503262170.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim Seung-Ho, Ha Kwon-Ick, Park Jong-Hyuk, Kim Young-Min, Lee Yong-Seuk, Lee Jong-Youl, Yoo Jae-Chul: Arthroscopic Posterior Labral Repair and Capsular Shift for the Traumatic Unidirectional Posterior Subluxation of the Shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 2003, 85: 1479-1487. 10.1302/0301-620X.85B2.13289.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.